I have this perl program to write folder hooks so I can return to
the same place in the mailboxes screen from the index screen,
instead of always to the first line:

        #!/usr/bin/perl

        use strict;

        my @mailboxes = glob("Mail/*");

        foreach my $mailbox ( @mailboxes )
        {
                $mailbox =~ s/^ Mail\/ (.*)$/=$1/x;
                print qq{folder-hook $mailbox 'macro index h
        }

I source it in /etc/Muttrc with this line:

        source /etc/mutt/indexhooks.pl|/

to put output into Muttrc, following the direction in the manual,

        If the filename ends with a vertical bar (|), then filename is
        considered to be an executable program from which to read input (eg.
        source ~bin/myscript|/).

but I was getting this error:

        Error in /etc/Muttrc, line 709: /etc/mutt/indexhooks.pl|/:
        No such file or directory
        source: errors in /etc/Muttrc
        Press any key to continue...

I then took off the final slash, and it started working. So, I
think this is a documentation bug.

However, this is on cygwin, so perhaps it is an idiosyncracy
of cygwin, rather than a documentation bug.