Hi Kyle, et al.,

Thanks for the constructive feedback.  With your help, I first started
looking into my ncurses implementation.  I cleaned things up best I
could and then downloaded and installed ncurses v5.6 compiled with 256
color support.  That alone did not resolve my issue; but I do believe it
helped.

The rxvt terminfo file I was using came with my terminal emulator and
was supposed to support 256 colors, but it appears there is some issue
with that file.  I tried setting my TERM var to xterm-256color.  That
appears to have done the trick!  I can now use the colorN technique to
access all 256 colors.  I'm one happy camper :)

Thanks again for all the help.

--
Mun