* On 2007.02.16, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
*       "Eur Ing Chris Green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am looking for an MTA to use with mutt on a Solaris 2.6 system, so
> far none of the ones on http://wiki.mutt.org/?LightSMTPagents builds
> successfully though I'm pursuing msmtp still.

Most non-queueing SMTP clients are, shall we say, optimized for Linux.
Getting the native-code ones to compile on Solaris is not an enjoyable
exercise.

If you're using Solaris 2.6, you're probably not on dialup (or
wireless).  What's wrong with a full MTA like sendmail that's simply not
running a listener?  Very likely the sendmail that ships on Solaris 2.6
will work fine, as old as it is.  I wouldn't run it as a server, but as
a client it should be okay.  Plus you get an outbound queue in case of
problems.

Sendmail is very common on Solaris, so even if you do need to compile
it shouldn't be much of an issue, and if you're not running a listener
you don't really need to be very conscious of security issues (in
case you're one of those who feels that sendmail is fatally flawed,
security-wise).

--
 -D.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        NSIT    University of Chicago