On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 09:49:41AM -0700, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 14 at 05:25 PM, quoth Umut Tabak:
> > I still get  a
> >
> > ssmtp: Cannot open mail:25
>
> Alright, now we're getting somewhere.
>
> > set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp [EMAIL PROTECTED] -appassword"
>
> Okay, it appears that the real problem is not with your mutt setup,
> but with your ssmtp setup. I don't know much about ssmtp, but I do know
> that it has more-or-less been abandoned. You may be able to find
> information about how to configure ssmtp on the web... I know some
> people use and love ssmtp, but I'm personally not a fan (for many
> reasons, many having to do with it being abandon-ware).
>
> I would recommend using a different package: msmtp. It has a web page
> (http://msmtp.sf.net) and a lot of documentation and active
> development. I would suggest installing that, setting it up, and
> telling mutt to use that instead of ssmtp.
>
> That being said, some folks get a lot of mileage out of ssmtp and may
> be able to help you set it up. I am not one of them. :)

Some of us rely on ssmtp for Windows machines because it's traditionally
been provided with Cygwin.  I guess you could call that mileage.

To help out the poster for the moment, he can configure ssmtp by editing
/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf (or wherever the appropriate configuration file
located on his system) to define, at minimum, the following:

mailhub=smtp.myISP.net

and replacing the mailhub value with whatever is applicable.  For
everything else, there's the manpage.  Or as you suggested, install
msmtp and use it instead, and then read through the ~/.msmtp.log file to
diagnose any further problems.  The msmtp manpage provides mutt-specific
configuration directives so it should be relatively easy to set things
up correctly.

--
George