Hi Todd.

On date Tuesday 2007-05-01 14:03:00 -0400, Todd Zullinger muttered:
> Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > I discovered this behaviour is dependant on the folder I'm exploring.
> > There happens to be "good" folders and "bad" folders, in the good ones
> > I can see the "s" flag right just when I open them in the index and
> > the verify mechanism works as expected (that is good signatures
> > results in a "S" flag), in the bad ones I can't see the "s" when
> > opening them in the index, but it appears when I display the
> > corresponding mail in the pager, and the "s" doesn't become "S" after
> > I verify them even if they are good (according to the gpg output).
> >
> > I tried to figure out some relevant difference between the good and
> > bad folders (I'm using maildir formats), but without success... very
> > puzzling, so I have to conclude this is a rather strange bug.
>
> Hmmm.  Do you have folder hooks in play that could cause this?  If you
> haven't already, perhaps try with a very stripped down muttrc and see
> if it still happens.

Excellent suggestion!

I tried:
mutt -F /dev/null
and I finally started to shed ligth on this mystery ;-)...

I checked the usual (mis?)behaviour, and it was there... but this time
mutt displayed in the echo/prompt line (ehm, the line at the bottom of the
mutt layout, where usually are inserted commands and arguments):

"Part of this message has not been signed."

and when I opened signed message in other folders:

"PGP signature successfully verified."

(by the way: can someone suggest why this message doesn't appear with
my (quite bloated) configuration? I have the line:

color message brightcyan default

so it doesn't seem to be a color problem. Do others variables affect
the appearance of informational messages?)

It turned out that the problem depends on the mailing list to which
each message belongs (I store every mailing list mails in separate
folders). Some mailing list are configured to append to the message a
text/plain mime entity with some mailing-list related information;
this results the last attachment in the mail.

For some reason, when opening such folders with these modified signed
messages, mutt doesn't recongize that they are signed messages, so it
doesn't display the "s" in the index up to when the message is opened
to be displayed in the pager.

For all these messages mutt complains with the:

"Part of this message has not been signed."

message, and the "s" flag keeps downcased even after the pgp signature
verify.

At this point I don't know if this is a feature or a bug. Can others
confirm this behaviour?

Best regards
--
mutt tip #5
Help the spread of the mutt verb: use the option