Greetings,

Some of you may remember me from years back. I have been using mutt for
years and was active on this list years ago. 6 years ago I retired and
lost a unix machine with a direct link to the web. I have a large unix
machine at home to work on, but for various reasons I have not had this
connected to the internet. I use mutt on Cygwin and for years have used
the stable release that comes with cygwin. I have had little time to
play around with mutt and its friends as I used to. However, I have now
got a new speedy laptop with the latest cygwin and I plan to get more
active here. I have just compiled mutt-1.5.15. I plan to work as I used
to on some of the tools that we link with mutt. I need to go through my
old muttrc. There is much there that I did not use with 1.4 or would not
work under cygwin. My first task is to sort that out. Then, I'll see what
else I want to play around with. So, if anyone has a TODO list for mutt
+ cygwin, please let me have it.

I have some comments from the 1.5.15 build. As I found years ago the main
problems are in the make in the doc directory. This is amazingingly
complex, at least to me. It uses tools I have not meet before and I had
to download them from the cygwin site. It failed with:-

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/Brian/prog/mutt-1.5.15/doc'
make makedoc-all
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/Brian/prog/mutt-1.5.15/doc'
sed -e 's,@sysconfdir\@,/usr/local/etc,g' -e 's,@bindir\@,/usr/local/bin,g'
        -e 's,@docdir\@,/usr/local/doc/mutt,g' ./mutt.man > mutt.1
gcc -E -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include -I.. -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\"
        -DBINDIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H=1 -I../intl -D_MAKEDOC
        -C ../init.h | ../makedoc -m |      \
                cat ./muttrc.man.head - ./muttrc.man.tail\
                > muttrc.man
make -j1 ../makedoc.exe # we do not want to rebuild the documentation in
        tarball builds
make[4]: Entering directory `/home/Brian/prog/mutt-1.5.15/doc'
make[4]: `../makedoc.exe' is up to date.
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/Brian/prog/mutt-1.5.15/doc'
( date=`head -n 1 ../ChangeLog | LC_ALL=C cut -d ' ' -f 1` && \
          sed -e "s/@VERSION\@/`cat ../VERSION` ($date)/" ./manual.xml.head && \
          gcc -E -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include -I..
        -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\" -DBINDIR=\"/usr/local/bin\"
        -DHAVE_CONFIG_H=1 -I../intl -D_MAKEDOC -C ../init.h | ../makedoc
        -s && \
          gcc -E -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include -I..
        -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\" -DBINDIR=\"/usr/local/bin\"
        -DHAVE_CONFIG_H=1 -I../intl -D_MAKEDOC -C ../functions.h | \
            perl ./gen-map-doc ./manual.xml.tail ../OPS* \
        ) > manual.xml
touch stamp-doc-xml
xsltproc --nonet ./chunk.xsl manual.xml
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
        http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/chunk.xsl
warning: failed to load external entity
        "http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/chunk.xsl";
compilation error: file ./chunk.xsl line 3 element import
xsl:import : unable to load
        http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/chunk.xsl
make[3]: [stamp-doc-chunked] Error 5 (ignored)
touch stamp-doc-chunked
xsltproc --nonet -o manual.html ./html.xsl manual.xml
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
        http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/docbook.xsl
warning: failed to load external entity
        "http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/docbook.xsl";
compilation error: file ./html.xsl line 3 element import
xsl:import : unable to load
        http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/docbook.xsl
make[3]: [manual.html] Error 5 (ignored)
lynx -dump -nolist -with_backspaces manual.html > manual.txt ||
        w3m -dump manual.html > manual.txt

It then quit. I have added some <newline><tab> to make it clearer. So:

1. Why does it have to get this stuff from the internet and why is it
failing to do so? I have a reliable broadband access.

2. Why do we even need to make the documents. They are on the main site or
they can just be added to the release.

3. If thay do have to be made, I suggest a separate 'make docs' after
'make', so failure in making the docs does not stop getting the
executable.

I just edited the makefile to forget about the docs and there was no
problem with the make for the executable.

Best wishes to all, but particularly to old mutt friends.

Brian.

--
If a thing's worth doing, it is worth doing badly.
                                               -- G.K. Chesterton