On Saturday, September 1, 2007 at 14:24:47 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I made all three agree on en_US.UTF-8, and the result was terrible.
> Most accented chars still were garbled.

    Strange: I've seen reports about this very setting working OK on
MacOS-X. The shell command "locale charmap" prints something? And what
for the usual ":set &charset ?charset" (normally the first "UTF-8", the
later "utf-8").

> Plus, I sent a test mail to myself with some accented chars, and
> although they looked fine when I sent it, they were garbled upon
> receipt (it wasn't slashes and digits, it was UTF?..blah blah).

    Your mail server seems to be the Sun Java System Messaging Server,
a sequel of the ugly iPlanet, well(!) known for its careless
reinterpretation, rewriting, and reordering of headers, dirty
reencodings, munging of crypographic contents, modified msgids, lost
messages, and so on. IMHO a hype toy, not to be used for serious work.

    However, we can't be sure if it's its fault, or effect of some
charset mix in your config. Could you please send me a test mail, in
UTF-8 setup, with Cristóbal's accent both in subject and in body?

> I was able to get mutt and bash to agree on en_US.ISO8859-1, but there
> is no option for that in Terminal.app's preferences. I only see
> "Western (ISO Latin 1)"

    That's it: Latin-1 and 8859-1 are the one same thing.

> The accented 'o' in 'Cristobal', i.e., 'ó', showed up

    Double fine: You also sent this 'ó' correctly! :-)

> but it ceased to be rendered correctly in Cristobal's own From: line,
> whereas it was fine before I started meddling. Instead of the correct
> char, I got a tilde over a capital A and some other junk. This seems
> like a step backward.

    Only people on UTF-8 terminals happen, by happy accident, to see it
wear the apparence of correctness. For everyone else, it's broken.
Broken from the beginning, and only Cristóbal can fix it cleanly.

>> pick one already available in "locale -a".
> zillion crazy moon languages.

    :-) "locale -a | grep ^en_US" should show the available variants
for your language and country only.

 On Saturday, September 1, 2007 at 14:43:48 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> when I rename an IMAP folder on this school account, instead of giving
> me the original name of the folder, it gives me \xxx\xxx... where the
> xs are digits.

    I know nothing about IMAP. I seem to vaguely recall that folder
names in the IMAP protocol are in UTF-7 (example "Crist+APM-bal").
However this unreadable thing is expected to be transcoded to the locale
in order to become user readable. And at the other end, the server
probably also transcodes this to and from its filesystem's charset.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Give your computer's unused idle processor cycles to a scientific goal:
The [EMAIL PROTECTED] project at <URL:http://folding.stanford.edu/>.