I understand that I can set $signature to a file name with my signature.
Then all subsequent outgoing messages will have that signature appended.
Or I can set $signature to something else or remove the file.  Then all
subsequent messages will not have a signature appended.

But what I want is to be able to decide, for each outgoing message: I
want to append a signature to this message.

Is there a way to do this?

Perhaps I want a vim macro that will append the signature to the message
currently being composed?  Does anyone have a ready-made macro?

Kai