Thanks so much for the help and tips. I'll take it all on board.

Since my messages, another thought occurred to me. Again forgive me if it seems i'm asking silly questions, but what i've picked up so far has only been what i've found on the web;

As i'm using the fastmail smtp server, do i need to have a sent items/ sentmail file for mutt? or will these messages automatically be saved on the server anyway (that does seem to be be happening already)? It just seems that i will end up with a large files of messages on system that i may not need.

And bearing that in mind - is it safe to just delete them if i do need to keep a sent file for messages sent using MUTT?

Jamie