I think the point that the people on the Postfix mailing list were trying to make is that the MUA (in this case mutt) should not be sending something to the MTA that is marked as text/plain, but has CRLF line endings since text/plain on Unix has just LF line endings.

Me, I don't know what should do what with what for this type of file. If it is converted by the MUA to have just LF line endings then the Windows PC I'm sending it to will still see it as a DOS text file since the MTA has to convert it to CRLF for the smtp protocol. Then again if the MTA noticed that the lines already had CRLF on the end and didn't "convert" it then that would work too. Also if the libmagic stuff noticed that a file was DOS text and reported it as application/octet-stream then I guess that would work too.

Maybe I just tell mutt to use a shell script as the MTA and I get that to convert all text to LF line endings then pass it on to the real MTA. Would that work ? I assume all data from mutt to the MTA will be text ? i.e. already be base64 encoded if needs be ?

Thanks everyone or your help.

Scott.