On 7 Mar 2008 16:20 -0800, by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Johnson):
> 1.  For right now, how do I get mutt to display these sorts of
>     forwarded messages?

Did you try to change the attachment MIME type to `message/rfc822'?

> 3.  Is the sender's e-mail client broken, or is this method of
>     forwarding messages acceptable?  (I know that's a loaded term.)

Since application/octet-stream is not supposed to be used for anything
that can be better identified by another MIME type, and the attachment
is clearly a valid (RFC 822?) message, I would say the sender's e-mail
client is not doing its job properly. Mutt is just doing its best with
what information it has.

--
Michael Kjörling .. [EMAIL PROTECTED] .. http://michael.kjorling.se
* ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *