On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:51:55AM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 19 at 03:29 PM, quoth Chris G:
> >On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 03:14:43PM +0000, Michael Kjorling wrote:
> >> On 19 Mar 2008 15:02 +0000, by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris G):
> >>
> >> Mutt looks at the message and picks the first charset from
> >> $send_charset that allows an exact encoding.
> >>
> >> http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual.html#send-charset
> >>
> >Well it's not a very good way of guessing then!  :-)
> >
> >I'll try setting send-charset explicitly and see if that helps.
>
> This may help: http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Charset

That's where I started!  :-)

I think my fundamental problem is between my editor and mutt.  If I
get mutt to understand what the characters I'm giving it are then all
seems well.  The pound signs I sent that were seen correctly by
everyone on the mutt list (including me) were read from a file I had
created directly from the command line and checked to see if it was
proper utf-8 which it was.

It's getting pound signs typed into my editor recognised by mutt as
pound signs that is the issue.  I think I'm on the right track now
though.  I need to get to my home system (currently at work) to really
understand and sort it out though.

--
Chris Green