On 17 May 2008 16:53 +1200, by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dylan Stamat):
> Is there any way to background this ?  Something like sendmail_wait=-1,
> but for smtp ?  Waiting for mail to send can be time consuming.

It's not exactly what you are looking for but what I have done is to
set up a minimal MTA on my workstation, listening only on loopback.
Sending an e-mail to that (including TLS, which is turned on by
default in my case) takes 1-2 seconds, and from that point on it
becomes the responsibility of the MTA to pass it on to my smarthost,
which is done in the background.

This has the added benefit that if the initial connection attempt
fails for some reason (has happened a few times in the past) I don't
have to wait for $connect_timeout before I can even make another
attempt. That, too, becomes the responsibility of the local MTA.

--
Michael Kjörling .. [EMAIL PROTECTED] .. http://michael.kjorling.se
* ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *