> use lots of month mutt, but one thing I can't solve. All Mails are in
>> the right charset (from russia, germany, etc...) in the pager. But,
>> in
>> the index, if there are german umlauts or kyrillic chars, they are
>> displayed as '?'.
>>
>> in my muttrc its this:
>> set charset = 'utf-8'

> You should not need to set this explicitly if your locale is
> correct.

> try:
> set assumed_charset="windows-1252"

ok, if I comment out all charset-settings in muttrc, then the failure is
the same. If I use assumed_charset="windows-1252", then the subject
change the chars, but only to "ñ Ô" etc... (asc: 241 and 212 etc...)
before (with assumed_charset='utf-8') in the index the subject is
displayed correct except german umlauts and russian chars. If I edit the
message in vim, then the subject-line is displayed correct. only in
mutt-index and pager the charset is weird. Very strange.
If I receive a copy of the same mail with eg. mozilla-mail, there it's
displayed correct. Because that, I think, something is wrong with my
settings.

Any Idea how to debug the next step?
Any help is welcome...
thanks a lot, raphael