I moderate a bunch of lists on Yahoo!, and I moderate list membership.

When I get an e-mail saying so-and-so wants to join list X, I send an e-mail to so-and-so asking for a name and any other information that demonstrates that so-and-so is a legitimate member and not a spammer.

So far, I've been successful in using Mutt to pipe a message to a Perl script which automatically sends the "who are you?" message. However, I'd like to be able to automatically process the reply also, in case I want to approve the membership. Usually, the person responds to the "who are you?" message leaving the message body intact. So I want to have something embedded in the "who are you?" message that can point my script back to the original "so-and-so wants to join" message from Yahoo!, so I can reply to that.

I'm using MH mailboxes, so I could simply embed the folder and message number of the original Yahoo! notification. However, when I pipe a message to my perl script, I have no idea what the original MH message number is. Mutt has assigned numbers of its own.

Any way to find the path/name of the original message file? Other suggestions for how to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thanks!
-pd

--
--------