I like to have my personal e-mails threaded in the same way as what
happens when I post to mailing lists.

After hitting 'm' I just edit the "Bcc:" field when the e-mail is not
going to a mailing list . and when I hit 'r' I do it systematically.

The only trouble about this approach is that half of the time I just
forget and have to go to my sent folder and re-send the message to
myself so that it eventually takes its place in the relevant thread.

I was wondering if there was a fairly simple way to have mutt help me
with this.

I'm sure I could come up with some complex hook that - e.g. checks the
lists I am currently subscribed to and add the "Bcc:" header for all
mail that's not directed to a mailing list -- hence, hopefully covering
both the 'm'--new messages, and the 'r'--replies to individuals (not
mailing lists).

But since I have limited time to spend on this hobby and a lot on my
plate at this point, I was thinking that displaying "Bcc: anyone on this
message?" just before I get actually hit 'y' to send the message would
be satisfactory .. especially if I had "no" as the default reply and if
my Bcc: address could be retrieved from a list of aliases or something.

Hope this makes sense.

CJ