I have the following in my muttrc, as the last line:

push "<tag-pattern>~s
abrechnung<enter><tag-prefix-cond><clear-flag>N<save-message><enter><end-cond><sync-mailbox>"

(I'm sending myself backups of a spreadsheet and want to immediately
archive these to a different mail folder, unsetting the "new" flag).

Basically, this line doesn't always get executed, meaning that new
mail matching the pattern "~s abrechnung" stays in my spoolfile,
marked as new.

When I say "doesn't always get executed", I mean that when I test this
repeatedly in a row, restarting mutt when there is mail matching the
pattern in my spoolfile, the desired effect (mail matching pattern
saved to other mailbox) occurs roughly 10-25 percent of the time.

This estimate is for my normal way to start mutt, which is from a
shell script with the line:

xfce4-terminal --geometry=100x63+5+5 -T mutt -e mutt

When I test it calling "mutt" directly from a running terminal, the
success rate is almost 100 percent, but I think there have been cases
where it didn't work there, either (but can't replicate this at the
moment).

Is there any thing I can do to make the push function work more often,
ideally 100 percent, when I start mutt from a shell script with a line
like the one above?

m.