On Friday, February 13 at 07:20 PM, quoth Jan-Herbert Damm:
> if you don't mind, can you explain the pattern "~r >3m" equally
> well?

Well, that's pretty simple.

First, mutt uses what it calls "simple patterns" to match messages.
(That's what you search for in the manual if you want to find more
information.) That right there is a simple pattern. Simple patterns
are a match-type-specifier (for lack of a better term) and, for most
match types, a match specification. In this case, the
match-type-specifier is "~r". These match-type-specifiers are
*generally* a tilde and a letter. That's significant, but I'll get to
that in a moment.

Some simple patterns only need the specifier. For example, ~N is a
pattern that matches all new messages. There's nothing more to it.

The ~r match-type means "messages with 'date-received' in a Date
range". In other words, the ~r pattern matches against the date that a
message was received (how that date is calculated is somewhat
complicated, but let's ignore that). But this pattern takes an
argument, so you can specify a range of dates it should match. In the
manual, this is described as "MIN-MAX", but really, it takes a "date
range", which is described in more detail a little later in the
manual.

A date range is fairly complex and flexible. It can be specified
either by listing the bracketing dates (literally MIN-MAX), or by
specifying one-end of the range, OR by specifying an age relative to
the current time. And dates can be given error ranges.

The match I used is fairly basic. ">3m" means "greater than 3 months
ago", and is specifying an age relative to the current time. >4m would
mean "greater than 4 months ago". You could also do <3m, which would
mean "less than 3 months ago", or =3m (exactly 3 months ago). The
unit, m in this case, can also be y, w, or d (for years, weeks, or
days).

But you can see why you'd want an error range. For example: =3m*1w,
which would match that two-week range exactly 3 months ago (the *
means you're expanding the match in both directions; if you use a -
that means only further-into-the-past, and + means the opposite.).

Exact dates must be specified in DD[/MM[/[cc]YY]] form. Each bracketed
section there means an optional field; any ommitted field is assumed
to be the current one. So, for example, "~r 10" would match any email