On 23Feb2009 10:21, Chris G <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
| On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 03:58:52PM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > On 22Feb2009 10:45, James Freer <jesseja...@googlemail.com> wrote:
| > | I've just been looking at mozex. the "xterm -e vim %t" that one enters
| > | for the editor leaves one with a small font. I hoped "xterm -fs 16 -e
| > | vim %t" might improve things. How can one get over this?
| >
| > The best way is to edit your .Xdefaults file to add suitable defaults
| > for the XTerm client. Mine includes:
| >
| >   XTerm*boldFont: 5x8
| >   XTerm*font: 5x8
| >
| > which I'm sure you'll find too small. See "man xterm" for the extensive
| > list of available settings.
| >
| .... but xterm is pretty horrible compared with alternatives nowadays.

Sure, but one thing at a time.

| For a basic (but better) xterm use rxvt, smaller and does everything
| just as well.  For soemthing that integrates into your/my environment
| use gnome-terminal or xfce4-terminal or whatever the equivalent is for
| you.

I use rxvt-unicode, myself. (Or iTerm on a Mac.)

| These all (IMHO) look nicer than xterm, they all use the same
| innards basically (well, gnome-terminal and xfce4-terminal do) and
| they're actually very lightweight because multiple instances all use
| the same process (or soemthing like that).  OK, one instance will use
| more resource than rxvt but ten terminals will use less than ten rxvts.

Likewise with rxvt-unicode, if you start a urxvtd and invoke urxvtc
(client).

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things
bought and sold are the legislators. - P.J. O'Rourke