On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 01:34:53AM -0400, rj wrote:
> Also just to add that I'm working on FreeBSD 7.1:
>
>  --> uname -a
>
> FreeBSD shell.vex.net 7.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE #0:
> Thu Jan 1 14:37:25 UTC 2009
> r...@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Your question is not a mutt question, and it certainly doesn't merit
being asked three times in relatively quick succession to a few thousand
people, most of whom I'd guess are using Linux.

That said, the fine Handbook should be your first source for
information.  Specifically:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

Hopefully, the multiple references to ports(7) won't escape your notice.

If you still don't understand things, or otherwise have additional
questions, the place to ask is freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org.

--
George