I have a number of malformed emails that I want to save in an
archive. Before I archive them I want to make the dates right. Now
they appear in Mutt with the date: 1970-01-01 00:00:00.  I know what
this date is, and from other records, I can assign a more honest date
to each of them.

I had thought that I could edit into the email a Date: header with the
correct date, but that doesn't seem to work, for me. I still get the
Unix Epoch in the index display. I have editted in both Date: and
Delivery-date: headers. I can see them when I open an email and
visually read the headers. But I want that date to appear in the index
as well.

Where does Mutt get the date that it displays in 'index-format'?  What
is the correct format for that date? What does Mutt do with emails for
which it cannot parse the date? Is there a secret database somewhere
in which Mutt keeps what it thinks it the real date? Etc. Etc...

I'm using Maildir format for all by emails.

TIA

--
Paul E Condon
pecon...@mesanetworks.net