On 30May2009 22:20, David J. Weller-Fahy
<dave-lists-mutt-us...@weller-fahy.com> wrote:
| * Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au> [2009-05-26 18:20 -0500]:
| >
| > It has to happen inside the folder-hooks because it needs to be
| > re-applied if you switch folders. Also, (if you didn't want to update
| > on a folder change) I think I established by experiment that the main
| > muttrc is sourced before opening your first folder, so you can't ask
| > for the folder name then.
|
| I should have been more specific.  I understand why the folder-hook has
| to be used, but don't quite get why the mutt-level ""-quoted string
| can't come from something like the following (doesn't work).
|
| #v+
| folder-hook . 'push ":\\\`~/.mutt/listbox-to-email.pl\ $my_folder\\\`<enter>"'
| #v-
|
| I do not understand why the macro is required to force mutt to parse
| that ""-quoted string, and now I'm wondering if there are any other
| constructs which would allow the same level of parsing without defining
| a macro... hrm.  Methinks I need to read more of the source, manual, and
| wiki to understand, but that may have to wait until I get more
| round-tuits.

There are no macros in that command line. Hmm, there are macros in
mine; I guess removing them is what you're after.

If you get your perl script to log command line arguments to a file,
what does it show? Is it even run?

What if you change:
  \\\`
into plain
  \`
at the start and end?

| > BTW, something I may raise in another thread: the output of
| > cs-mutt-per-folder (or whatever command you put in backticks there)
| > _must_ be a single line of text. Mutt reads just the first line and
| > closes the pipe, producing a Broken Pipe signal in the script and
| > discarding following lines. So the script should produce:
| >
| >   mutt-cmd; mutt-cmd; ...
|
| That is odd, but workable.  Also I found something to watch out for when
| using this method: Make sure your script *always* produces a command
| recognizable to mutt when run, otherwise the lack of a command will
| cause an error.  For example, when run in my =lists folder my particular
| script does not emit anything.  As a result, I receive a ': unknown
| command' message on the status bar.

That does seem a little odd, since mutt's ok with blank lines in the
muttrc.
--
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

"Are we alpinists, or are we tourists" followed by "tourists! tourists!"
        - Kobus Barnard <ko...@cs.sfu.ca> in rec.climbing,
          on things he's heard firsthand