On Wed, Jun  3, 2009, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> What it's compiling against and what it's linking against could be two
> different things. Mutt gets the version number from the ncurses header
> files; but it's quite possible that those headers are mis-matched to
> the library that was actually used to link against.
>
> Assuming you don't know: compiling most large software (like mutt) is
> a two-step process. First, each source file (e.g. a ".c" file) is
> compiled into an object file (a ".o" file), then the object files are
> linked together along with any libraries that are needed to create an
> executable binary (the program itself). People who have multiple
> versions of any given library often get themselves into trouble by
> compiling with headers that don't match the libraries. For example,
> you could compile against version 2.6 and then link against 2.4. The
> program would think it was using 2.6, but since it was linked against
> 2.4, would run into weirdness.

Ah, crap. :)  This on panix.com servers.  I used

--with-curses=/usr/local/ncurses-5.6

They are really good, so I assume it is correct.  There is also an
ncurses-5.4 install under /usr/local.

Either way, there is a patch I used for the last version of mutt I was
using, 1.5.10.  "5patch-1.5.1.nr.indicator_not_bright".  This was to
make any text under the indicator bar not bold.  It still works, and
interestintly enough, also fixes this issue.

-Ken