On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Brandon Metcalf wrote:

This might be better asked in a vi/vim forum, but I figured someone here
using mutt has had to solve this problem.  When receiving email from Outlook
users, lines do not have newline characters.  That is, they show up in mutt
looking like

I tried setting my editor to use fmt(1) and pipe that to vim but I couldn't
get it to work properly.  fmt(1) was treating the entire message as one big
paragraph and the output was mangled.

I didn't set anything in vimrc but I put this in .muttrc:

set editor="vim +':set textwidth=72'"

You might try playing with something similar in vimrc (obviously not the set editor="vim + part).

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279