On Wednesday, November 11 at 11:25 PM, quoth Robert Holtzman:
> My mailboxes are on my hd.

Huh. Okay. How many is mutt checking on?

> Still can't figure out why mutt would insist on polling mailboxes
> for keystrokes unrelated to any mailbox (s, t, *, ?, etc)

That's easy to explain: because you told it to. Here's the way it
works: you told mutt (well, it's set this way by default, but...) via
$mail_check that you want ALL of your mailboxes to be checked every 5
seconds. Now, mutt isn't multithreaded, so it doesn't have a separate
thread waiting five seconds and then checking for mail. Instead, it
has a single thread that spends most of its time waiting for you to
press a key. Every time you press a key, mutt checks the time against
the various timeouts. If it's been 5 seconds or more since the last
time it polled all of your mailboxes, it will check all of your
mailboxes when you press a key NO MATTER WHAT KEY YOU PRESSED. The key
press merely allowed mutt to break out of its waiting-for-a-key loop,
enabling it to trigger any actions that should have happened (i.e.
check for mail).

The other preference setting that affects this is the $timeout
setting, which sets how long until mutt gives up waiting for you to
press a key. By default, $timeout is set to 5 minutes (300 seconds).
Thus, if you do nothing at all (i.e. press no keys), mutt will only
check all of your mailboxes every 5 minutes, despite the fact that
$mail_check is set to 5 seconds.

> and why the problem is intermittent.

Well, given mutt's event-driven structure, checking for mail is
inherently intermittent. But I think the intermittent delays probably
also have something to do with the number of mailboxes you have mutt
checking, and the characteristics of your hard drive (i.e. does
checking all of them involve spinning up the disk? Searching through
large unhashed directories? etc.).

~Kyle
- --
The community which does not protect its humblest and most hated
member in the free utterance of his opinions, no matter how false or
hateful, is only a gang of slaves. If there is anything in the
universe that can't stand discussion, let it crack.
                                              -- Wendell Phillips, 1863