Brendan Cully wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 November 2009 at 11:31, Kevin Kobb wrote:
Dan Ritter wrote:
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:17:36AM -0500, Kevin Kobb wrote:
Hello,

I am using mutt to connect to a Cyrus IMAP server. It is working
fine, but I have one question. Sometimes I have a number of
deleted messages in a folder, but I only want to purge one
message. I know how to purge them all, but I haven't been able
find a way to purge just one, and leave the rest. Is this
possible? If so, I would be very grateful if somebody could tell
me how.
No, but if you insist, there is a workaround.

Save the message to be deleted to a temporary folder (create one
if necessary). Open the temporary folder in another instance of
mutt. Delete your message, purge, and exit.

I have to wonder why you are deleting messages that you don't
really want to delete. Perhaps you should be moving them to
another folder instead?

-dsr-

Typically, I am doing this for a user. They call and complain because
the got an offensive email of some type. If I save the message to
another folder (which I do) it still leaves a copy in the Inbox
folder with the deleted flag set.

If I do an expunge to get rid of the offensive message, it will also
expunge all the users messages with the deleted flag set. Now,
granted if they have the deleted flag set you would think they would
be ready to have them expunged, but that is not always the case, and
trying to convince an end user of that is is a good way to get a
headache ;)

You could also copy all the messages _but_ the target to a temp
folder, then purge, then copy them back. Or tag all deleted messages,
clear the deleted flag, set some other flag (like 'flagged'), delete
the single message, tag the flagged messages, and set them to deleted
but not flagged. The second method might be a bit quicker, but depends
on there not already being flagged messages in the mailbox. I'd go
with the first.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I've got a couple of things now that I will take a look at.