Freeman wrote:
Thanks guys. I had read something that, on revisiting, seems rather unclear.

I have a text file of lists for spam-bouncer/procmail which muttrc grep's
for 'subscribe' .

Of course, that doesn't get me aliases and recipes. Seems I could approach
your py elegance with a bash script, which I have been studying of late.
With all your mailboxes in ~/mail/lists, you could set up something basic like
this in ~/.muttrc:

is 100% maintenance-free.

Note that my_dummyvar is not set to anything. I needed something where I
could plug my alias file creation mini-script. Access is not serialized,
so this might break if several instances of mutt are started concurrently.

I never type my mailing list aliases, only the shortest non-ambiguous
string and hit the<Tab>  key:

I am subscribed to 'fontcon...@lists.freedesktop.org', the alias generated is
the still too long 'fontconfig' but since I know I have not other alias that
starts with 'f', I only have to enter 'f<Tab>' at the To: prompt.

Gen-Paul.