On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 01:14:23PM +0100, Joost Kremers wrote:
> you could perhaps also set up a small mail watcher in your panel/dock/taskbar
> whatever it's called on the OS/WM you're using. ;-)

Yeah, there are gnubiff, mail notification, etc.

> > For some reason I want mutt to be able to do what Thunderbird 3 does. It
> > automatically creates a smart "Inbox" which combines all the inboxes of
> > my different email accounts and shows them as one,
>
> that's a nifty feature... :-) though i think i prefer to keep my work and
> private email separate, so it's good to have different mail boxes for them.

What thunderbird actually does is give you virtual inbox, sent, drafts
and trash mailboxes (and maybe archive as well) combining the respective
mailboxes of all your accounts, and also lets you access each account
and its inbox, sent, drafts, trash and archive mailboxes separately
(plus any other folders a particular account might have) as well, so you
can have your cake and eat it. These virtual mailboxes are there by
default, but I think you can create your own virtual mailboxes and saved
searches and the like as well, they all appear in a tree on the left
hand side. It's a pretty good feature, but still not enough to make me
switch from mutt.