> but see that I already have /etc/default/fetchmail (I'm running
> debian), which means fetchmail will start automatically on boot.
> However, won't fetchmail then be run by root and not see the
> "set daemon 900" statement in ~/.fetchmailrc? So will fetchmail
> fail to start in daemon mode for user?

If I remember correctly (been ages since I used Linux) /etc/default/fetchmail
is a start-up script for fetchmail. You could then put your configuration stuff
in /etc/fetchmailrc. It might also be a good idea to check if Debian package
runs the daemon as fetchmail user, which is what I used to do when I used it,
to avoid running it as root.

Jamie