I send mail using ssmtp (a simple standalone SMTP library) and one of
the SMTP servers for the different freemail addresses I have.

When receiving an email to ad...@gmx.de, I'd like to reply using that
as the From line, and also the corresponding SMTP account, of course.
Same thing for ad...@gmx.de, ad...@googlemail.com and so on.

set from         = "ad...@gmx.de"   # main address
set alternates   = "^(ad...@gmx.de|ad...@gmx.de|ad...@googlemail.com)$"
set use_from     = yes              # generate From: header
set reverse_name = yes              # use alternates when replying

This seems to set my sender address as desired. But in order for the
mail to get accepted by the SMTP server, I have to select matching
SMTP server settings (addr1 account for addr1 etc), and I can't seem
to figure out how to change the sendmail command based on the sender
address. A send-hook, for instance, is for "Chang[ing] settings based
upon message recipients", which is fine, but not what I beed in this
case.

Is the best option to write a shell or Perl script to parse the mail,
determine the appropriate SMTP server from the "From" line (first line
of the mail), and then to exec ssmtp with the appropriate arguments or
configuration file?

--
Michael Ludwig