Thanks, after some experimenting I'm still getting mailbox closed, I
still can't get mutt to keep an IMAP connection open for long.

I added imap_idle to my muttrc. It's good that I get real-time
notifications now but it didn't stop the mailboxes from closing. I also
reduced my imap_keepalive to three minutes, but this didn't make any
difference either. I read up on timeout and mail_check, but I think my
settings are fine. Here's what I have:

set timeout=15
set mail_check=90
set imap_keepalive=180