On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:35:43AM -0500, David Champion wrote:

>> >I attach the following macros to the z key in my .muttrc
>> >
>> > macro index z "s=mutt/spam\n" "move message to spam"
>> > macro pager z "s=mutt/spam\n" "move message to spam"
>> >
>> >And then i can just z(ap) any nasty spam.
>>
>> Ah. Thanks Steve.  Wasn't going to get around to configuring save-hook for
>> awhile, but since you mention this, I'll likely deploy it here. ;-)
>
>I assume your goal in saving stuff you know is spam is to finely train
>your spam analysis engine.  Consider using the spam directive with this.
>For example:
>
>  # SpamAssassin markup catcher.
>  spam "X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=([^ ]+)" "SA:%1"
>  # Add more patterns as needed for other spam engines you use.
>
>  # Save known spam to spam folder for bayesian analysis.
>  fcc-save-hook "~H ." =spam
>
>  # Augment this with macros to save uncaught spam and false positives.
>  # (I use ^S as a prefix for a variety of spam-related functions.)
>  macro index \Css "<save-message>=spam<enter>" "message is spam"
>  macro pager \Css "<save-message>=spam<enter><exit>" "message is spam"
>  macro index \Csn "<save-message>=notspam<enter>" "message is not spam"
>  macro pager \Csn "<save-message>=notspam<enter><exit>" "message is not spam"
>
>If that's not your goal, I'm not sure why you're saving spam. :)

It tastes great?

Although I've found spamassassin in the past to be great with catching spam, I
recently reinstalled Gentoo and am trying to avoid installing packages I
absolutely don't need or packages rarely used and for only one purpose.
Spamassassin just happens to fall in the bracket as it pulls in 20-30 perl
packages never used anywhere else on my entire system!

So, I'm experimenting with Bogofilter.  Bogofilter, doesn't seem to be catching
much at all and has to be trained -- so I've been moving all spam to a folder
and training it's filter.  However, so far, even though Bogofilter only brings
in at most one dependency, it seems to be bogus at catching spam. :-/

I guess instead of using a Bash script to call bogofilter to scan the spam
maildir, I could simply create a hook to call it.  But I tend to try to do most
things manually.

(... explains why I'm no using Mutt ;-)

If I were using Spamassassin, I'd more then likely use this suggestion.