On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 07:31:28PM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I opened a can of worms obviously. On the target system (debian) the
> stock  mutt-1.5.20.tgz doesn't compile because
> it can't find libcurses. I have libncurses5 installed. Maybe patches
> are required for debian?

On Debian the files necessary to compile a program are provided
in a separate package, called libncurses5-dev. You will need
those *-dev packages for all libraries mutt depends on.

But before doing this, try mutt 1.5.20 from backports.org.

> A newer package for debian (unless I compile from sources) doesn't
> seem to exist.
>
> Any debian experts here?  I'm getting error 404 when trying to
> install further packages (e.g. strace) . Maybe I got to extend
> /etc/apt/sources.list?

The only thing you need in there should be something like this
(if you use Debian Lenny):

    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main

> Christoph

Hope this helps,