On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 02:54:39PM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:

> Will,
>
> Here is a crazy test. from the system I'd ssh'd into, I ssh'd
> to a linux box where, the # ls command there has an option to
> display different types of files in different colors. That worked
> perfectly.
>
> Term there was xterm and there was also the addtional env var
> of COLORTERM set to 1.
>
> By using # ssh -X, and then # ssh -X again I'm avoiding the
> termcap settings in the intermediate host though, aren't I ?
>
> For a test like that the middle man's problems are simply ignored. right ?

Beyond my guessing about COLORTERM I'm not sure what the problem is.
You may want to look at the terminfo.4 man page and the See Also pages.

I used to run Solaris 10 and used a version of mutt that I built myself
that was using slang instead of curses (not sure why at this point).
These days I'm running a internal developer build of Solaris which has a
native version of libncurses so I've compiled the latest developer
version of mutt to use that.  Here are the shared libs that mutt is
currently linked to:

        libncurses.so.5 =>       /usr/gnu/lib/libncurses.so.5
        libssl.so.0.9.8 =>       /lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
        libcrypto.so.0.9.8 =>    /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
        libz.so.1 =>     /lib/libz.so.1
        libsasl.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/libsasl.so.1
        libgdbm.so.3 =>  /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.3
        libidn.so.11 =>  /usr/lib/libidn.so.11
        libsocket.so.1 =>        /lib/libsocket.so.1
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /lib/libnsl.so.1
        libc.so.1 =>     /lib/libc.so.1
        libmd.so.1 =>    /lib/libmd.so.1
        libmp.so.2 =>    /lib/libmp.so.2
        libm.so.2 =>     /lib/libm.so.2

My TERM is xterm when I ssh into a Solaris system.  Note that I do not
have to set COLORTERM in order to have mutt display color.

I have a shell script wrapper for mutt so it can find the
/usr/gnu/lib/libncurses.so.5 lib.  It basically looks like:

#!/usr/bin/ksh -p
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/gnu/lib
exec $HOME/bin/$(uname -p)/mutt "$@"
# end of script

I have the binary version of mutt in $HOME/bin/i386/

--
Will Fiveash