I have a process for reviewing my spam maildir:

    Move all spam maildir messages to a temporary maildir so I don't
    get held up by new spam arriving while looking at it.

    Run mutt on the temp spam maildir.

    If I find ham in the temp spam maildir, manually move it elsewhere
    in a separate term.

    Move all temporary spmdir junque messages to the bit bucket.

The only real drawback to this is that now that I have discovered
sidebar and the amazing things which mutt's commands can do, I think
there must be something better than running this special mutt wrapper
script to do these steps.  I'd like to have mutt recognize that I am
visiting the spam dir and do these steps for me.  If it could run pre-
and post-read commands, that would be most of the trick, but it would
also have to change the name of the maildir to the temp spam mail and
leave the real spam maildir alone.

Or maybe it could tell qmail to leave the spam maildir alone -- qmail
will defer delivery temporarily if the home dir has the sticky bit
set, but that's a bit crude.  It will also defer delivery if the
.qmail control file is writeable, which is more acceptable.  I had
avoided this just because it seemed something I would likely forget to
restore afterwards.

So is it possible to execute external commands before and after
reading a specific maildir?  folder-hook looks to be pre-read only.
I'm not sure if using '.' for the folder-hook maildir would execute
the post-read command if mutt were quit before reading another maildir.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / fe...@crowfix.com
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933