On Wednesday, October  6 at 04:31 PM, quoth Matthias Apitz:
>> It's because vim isn't *told* what character set the input file
>> will be; it has to guess. Mutt is handing it a UTF-8 file (because
>> mutt converts mail messages into whatever the local terminal
>> character set is before handing it to any other program (such as
>> vim), for obvious reasons). In UTF-8, the á character is
>> represented as a two-byte character: 0xc3 0xa1. However, your vim
>> is assuming that input files are in ISO-8859-1, and both of those
>> bytes are valid ISO-8859-1 characters (this is the fundamentally
>> impossible problem of determining character set from unidentified
>> byte streams). As you might imagine, 0xc3 is Â, and 0xa1 is ¡.
>
>It is converted *before* it is stored into the temp file for 'vim'; I've
>checked this with truss(1) what mutt hands over to vim (see the
>^^^^marked bytes):

Well, of course it is. When mutt reads an email message, it reads it
into it's own local memory, transforms it into a form that is
convenient to think about (in this case, utf-8), and uses that to
display to the terminal. Thus, it's pretty obvious why mutt would use
that same source to write out files for vim. In other words, the file
is written in utf-8 characters; it is not written in latin1 characters
and then converted.

But this is, I think, an irrelevant detail. The real point of the
matter is that the file is in UTF-8 encoding by the time vim gets it.

>g...@current:~> env | egrep 'LANG|LC_'
>LANG=es_ES.UTF-8

Presumably, that's a valid LANG on your system. Just for giggles, make
sure. Run

     locale -a | grep en_ES

~Kyle
- --
A great many people think they are thinking when they are actually
rearranging their prejudices.
                                                       -- William James