On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:15:41AM +0000, ja...@gnix.co.uk wrote:
>  >   Jason, that is good news. I hope it is not too OTL if I ask:
>  >   how about MC with console vim and the default editor and viewer?
>  >   And I bet you use vim with mutt?
>
> I have a Mac on which i use Mutt quite successfully, and vim. In fact vim
> comes pre-installed with Mac OS X. It's UNIX so y
> ou shouldn't have problems with any UNIX based applications on a Mac. If
> you're looking for software to install on your mac
> , check out Macports. You can easily compile source and install that way but
> Macports will save a lot of time and sometimes
>  headeaches :-)

The OP might want to look at homebrew [1] as an alternative to MacPorts.
Everything is installed to its own prefix and then symlinked to
/usr/local/bin (by default, you can install to ~/bin or wherever if
you prefer), and homebrew makes use of system libraries where possible
rather than compiling its own. The homebrew directory is a git repo too
which makes updates and managing personalisations a piece of cake.

[1] http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

--
Scott Stevenson <sc...@ecubyx.com>