On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 07:04:14PM -0700, Aaron Toponce wrote:
Will mutt be supporting Google's newly announced 2-step authentication?
I don't use any other mail client other than mutt, but I would like to
take advantage of the extra security when it's available for my account.

http://goo.gl/nP3ML

Thoughts?

I can't speak for the mutt devs, but in their place I wouldn't be eager to add gmail-specific code to ask for two-factor verification codes. If they add it for Gmail, they'll have to add different code when Yahoo comes out with their own spin on it, then Hotmail, then...

Google thought of that, though. After you enable two-factor authentication, you can create an application-specific password for applications like mutt that don't ask for verification codes. See: https://www.google.com/accounts/IssuedAuthSubTokens

I'm not sure how the "application-specific" part of application-specific passwords works, though. If I create a password for mutt, can I use the same password if I telent to gmail on the imap port and enter raw IMAP commands? If not, how does it tell the difference?

--
Ed Blackman