" puzzling problem when sending pictures with mutt - one user on the
other end has trouble printing them."

This is not a Mutt problem.  Possibly its a printer configuration problem...
and almost certainly the user is simply not technical enough to RTFM.

Using a MUA to print a photograph is kinda like using a fork to eat soup; it
might eventually get the job done, but not very efficiently.

The way to proceed is to suggest that your user first save the image file as
filename.jpg or whatever and then use another program to actually print the
image.  Most printer drivers will allow images to be scaled.

I'd suggest using Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP).  Its more than you
need to simply print an image, but it will get the job done.

If you wish, you can give your user my email address (off list) and I will hold
his/her hand while getting through this difficulty.

Lord knows I had lots of help back in the day...

Dale
--
Are you sure that this message is from me and that nobody but you has read it?
Really sure?  Wouldn't it be nice to be absolutely positively certain?  Gnu