On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 02:11:30PM -0500, David Champion wrote:
* On 14 Apr 2011, Paul E Condon wrote:
I have been using fetchmail and procmail to get my mail from my ISP
and distribute to several mbox folders using mutt as MUA.
I want to switch to using MH instead of mbox folder format. I have

Not to answer your question, but as Michael Tatge alluded, I would use
Maildir instead of MH unless you have a specific need to interact with
MH-compatible software.

I have actually been migrating from Maildir to MH for backup efficiency. I have procmail sort email into folders, and put a (sometimes modified) copy in my inbox where I can read and delete it, secure in the knowledge that I kept the original.

That means that I don't regularly read any mail folder other than my inbox.

If I use Maildir mail folders, that means that all my mail gets backed up in /path/to/folder/new. Occasionally I will open one of those folders in mutt, moving all the mail to /path/to/folder/cur. The next incremental backup then "deletes" the copy in /new from the backup and backs up the "new" copy in /cur. Beyond that, flags are stored in the file name, so changing flags causes another backup delete/add.

With MH, on the other hand, message 13524 is always message 13524, regardless of whether I've seen it or not, or what the message flags are. The flags are in .mh_sequences which is tiny if I care about saving those flags, and easy to exclude from backup if I don't.

--
Ed Blackman