Hi everybody.
Thank you very much for your help.

The situation now is:

1- As my /home folder is ecrypt I added to my .muttrc your suggestion
(folder-hook 'archive' 'push <toggle-write>; unset
maildir_header_cache_verify')
Apparently, after a first refresh, the update of files looks
inmediate, but after using mutt a little bit, it turns slower againg.
The end result is that there's not a significant improve in
performance: Sometimes it is very fast, sometimes it is very slow.

2- I checked my data, ang got this:

jm@jm-ThinkPad-X200s:~/.mail/GMail/[Gmail].All Mail$ du -h
4,0K    ./tmp
940K    ./new
9,4G    ./cur
9,4G    .
jm@jm-ThinkPad-X200s:~/.mail/GMail/[Gmail].All Mail$ find . -type f | wc -l
47860

The data shown in my mutt status page is the same (I am using google
apps, premium, so nothing strange about having more than 7Gb)

3- My system is 32 bit.

jm@jm-ThinkPad-X200s:~$ uname -m
i686

4- After working a little bit with I/O, I get:

  TID  PRIO  USER     DISK READ  DISK WRITE  SWAPIN      IO    COMMAND
120  4886 be/4 jm          2.38 M/s    0.00 B/s  0.00 % 96.43 % mutt

Honestly speaking, I don't know what to do with this information.
Thanks again for your help.

jm

PS: will keep tokyo-cabinet for later, thanks. Think that
understanding what is happenings is neccessary first.