Hi, Derek.

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 05:54:38PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 09:41:32PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 02:16:23PM -0700, Nick wrote:
> > > The font you are using likely doesn't support the line glyphs.
> > > I've found Envy Code R to be a good all-purpose font that supports
> > > a good number of glyphs.

> > Surely it would have to be included as part of mutt.  I think the
> > font's author doesn't permit this.

> Not at all... The console uses the same font no matter what program
> you're running (unless it's a program to set the console font, I
> suppose).  Mutt has nothing to do with it.  Your system provides a
> number of fonts which are loadable on the console.  How you do that has
> changed a number of times though.

I suspect the font I'm using is lacking support for the line graphics,
and the driver for the screen is helpfully outputting an ASCII
representation of the 3 UTF-8 bytes which code up the line graphic code.

> > Are these line drawing glyphs in Unicode, anywhere?

> Yes.  Mutt displays perfectly fine on my UTF-8 console, for what it's
> worth.

I decoded M-b~T~T to 0xe29494 -> 0x2514.  I found a Unicode decoder, and
it does indeed say that 0x2514 is the appropriate line glyph.

> > I hate unicode, especially UTF-8.  Perhaps it would be best for me to

> Not likely.  The world is moving (or, by and large, has already moved)
> to Unicode; eventually the older encoding schemes will very likely
> disappear entirely, and you'll run into all sorts of problems.
> There's no reason to hate UTF-8; it is just yet another encoding
> system which now very well supported and superior technically to
> ISO-8859-1.  Don't hate technological advancement because you chose
> not to keep up with it... :)

I don't agree that new things are always better than old.  Unicode has
its disadvantages too, but I suspect here isn't really the place to hack
out the argument.  Feel free to take it to email, though.  ;-)

> What does that mean, exactly?  What kernel/distro release/version are you
> running, and how did you convert?  It seems very likely that there are
> pieces missing from whatever procedure you followed.

I've got linux-2.6.37 running in an up-to-date Gentoo (which has a
"rolling release" system).  See below for details of my conversion.

> One other possibility is that mutt is not built suitably to support
> UTF-8.  Look at the output of this command:

>   ldd /path/to/mutt

> replacing /path/to/mutt with the actual path to your mutt binary.  If
> you see libncurses instead of libncursesw, it means mutt was built
> without support for wide characters, and will need to be rebuilt.
> In that case, most likely you will need to install the correct
> ncursesw libraries, including the development bits.  This problem has
> bitten me a few times in the past.

Indeed, my mutt is linking with libncurses.so.  I also have a
libncursesw.so on my system.  How do I persuade mutt to build with
ncursesw?  There doesn't seem to be a flag in Gentoo's configuration to
force this.  Maybe I should ask on the Gentoo mailing list.

> There definitely is, .....  You may need to ....  install some console
> fonts and utilities to load them, etc. depending on the current state
> of your system.

> If your system is actually recent then telling us what it is and how
> you converted it may provide some useful clues as to what's missing.

Up to date Gentoo.  I converted by editing the boot-up scripts
/etc/conf.d/consolefont and /etc/conf.d/keymaps, and creating two new
UTF-8 locales (one of which I've set to the default by setting
LANG="en_GB.UTF-8" in /etc/env.d/02locale).

The font now in use is called default8x16.psfu.gz.  I don't know if this
contains 0x2514 and friends.

Does mutt use the environment variables like LANG and LC_.... to
determine how to output stuff?

> Hope that helps.

A very great deal, thanks!

--