* On 04 Nov 2011, Tim Gray wrote:
> On Nov 03, 2011 at 03:43 PM -0500, David Champion wrote:
> >If you use X-labels heavily and are comfortable building
> >mutt from source I encourage you to take a look at
> >https://bitbucket.org/dgc/mutt-dgc/qseries and apply at least up to the
> >complete-pattern-y patch.
>
> I wouldn't mind trying this out, but I'm a little unclear how to apply the
> patches.  I normally build mutt from the hg sources...

Example:
hg qclone https://bitbucket.org/dgc/mutt-dgc mutt-labels
cd mutt-labels
hg qpush complete-pattern-y
hg up HEAD
./prepare --prefix=... etc

> Furthermore, what would really add to mutt in my mind is some 'smart folder'
> capability.  Anyone who uses a Mac and is on OS X 10.7 should take a look at
> the new Mail.app.  The smart folders (saved searches) are pretty nice in my
> opinion and are very fast.  Coupled with a labels scheme such as the one you
> wrote about, you have something that competes with gmail/notmuch/sup without
> fooling around with IMAP standards or running an email client from within
> emacs.

That could be nice but it's a long way beyond what we have the ability
to do now.  Mutt's current design allows it to open only one mailbox
at a time, though you could work around this if you don't need full
interactive access to the mailbox.  And it doesn't currently have any
external metadata storage other than header caches, so there's no easy
searching for tags across a multitude of mailboxes (I have over 4500)
that also indexes down to the individual message location.  Other MUAs
have tighter control of this by rigidly defining their internal message
store format, but mutt is committed to using open mailstores (mbox,
maildir, mh, etc) directly, not just permitting imports from them.
These would be substantial changes to implement. :/

--
David Champion • d...@uchicago.edu • IT Services • University of Chicago