* On 01 Dec 2011, Derek Martin wrote:

> Incidentally, while looking this up, I ran across a post which
> suggested that the intent behind specifying a specific string in the
> RFC was that it made two related problems simple: ...
> the second is that mail clients can simply
> choose to *display* a localized version of 'Re:' instead of that
> string.  The hueristic for doing so is greatly simplified if the token
> is standardized and invariable.

Agreed, and FWIW my 'subjectrx' patch makes that possible.  It enables
any kind of regex-based subject munging that affects only message
display, including this:

subjectrx '^([rR][eE]|[Aa][wW]):' Sv:

I mainly use this patch for erasing those [MailingListName] tags that
some list owners find indispensible.

This patch is part of the patch queue at
https://bitbucket.org/dgc/mutt-dgc/ if you want to try it.  It depends
on the 'replacelist' patch which precedes it.

To me, "re:" is more metadata than text.  You'd rarely catch any speaker
of English saying it aloud.

--
David Champion • d...@uchicago.edu • IT Services • University of Chicago