Dear all,

This is offtopic, and not mutt related. But a lot of smart people are
on this list so I will give it a try. I am a mutt user for more than
12-13 years. Before that I was using elm.

The maiserver from the University will change this days from a Unix
one to a microsoft exchange. I already put .forward files everywhere
to use the new server. The problem is that non ASCII characters gets
converted by this exchange in a funy way:

 ă ->  A:*
 î ->  A(R)
 ș ->  E*
 ț ->  E*
 ‑ ->  **
 „ ->  a**
 “ ->  a**

I reported this few times but it is like hitting a brick wall. Anyone
else have seen this? The explination why it happens is easy to follow.
For example "î" in UNICODE represents C3 and AE which if treated as 8bit
iso8859-1 you get à and ® and then if you transliterate to ascii you
get A and (R). I don't understand why UTF-8 text is read as Latin1 and
then translitarated to ASCII and then encoded as UTF-8. Any idea what
else I can tell those guys to fix it? I don't have this problem to
other exhange servers.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Ionel