I read my mail via IMAP. From various computers. Every so often I run
fetchmail on one computer to download all mail and remove it from the
remote servers. I then don't have the full story on the server, but
that's perfectly fine.

There's one annyoing bit about this setup. Mail that I've read via IMAP
is flagged as new when downloaded to my computer. I would prefer to have
only new mail flagged as new.

In practice, my workaround is to make sure I've read all mail before on
the server before running fetchmail; and then mark everything as read
when downloaded. But an annoying inner voice tells me that this is not
a satisfactory solution.

Who's to blame? Mutt for not properly flagging mail as read via IMAP?
Me for not configuring it to do so? Fetchmail for not honoring the IMAP
status bits (whatever they are) when downloading mail? Me, again, for
not configuring it to do so? Or simply the Internet gods for not having
made the behaviour I want attainable? Or, again, me for desiring the
impossible?

Michael