> On 13Apr2012 22:18, seanh <snh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> | I wonder if it's possible to write a script that would get mutt to open
> | every folder in an imap account and download all of the message bodies
> | and headers into its cache? You could run it from cron to keep your mutt
> | working reasonably fast.
>
> Does a first cut of (untested):
>
>   for f in INBOX this that theother
>   do  mutt -e 'push <quit>' -f "imaps://my-imap-server/$f"
>   done
>
> get you off the ground?

Yes! That worked very well. This is what I ended up with, it fills both
the header and message caches:

#!/bin/sh
for f in INBOX Archives/2011 Archives/2012 \[Google\ Mail\]/Sent\ Mail
"imaps://snh...@imap.gmail.com:993/$f"
done

My message cache is 1GB now :) And opening and searching folders seems
pretty fast.

I have to manage the hardcoded list of accounts and folders manually,
but that's not so bad. It'd be cool to package this up into a
configurable script though.

It sounds like I should also set the message_cache_clean variable when
the script runs:

http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual.html#maint-cache