On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 06:01:48PM +0200, mimosinnet wrote:

... I don't know why my clock is so weird. It's definitely *not* 6pm in
+0200 right now...

/me marks that as something to fix

> I very much appreciate your suggestion! I was working with a large alias
> file, and what you suggest has much more sense. I did not came across
> $query_command (mutt is a constant discovery!), and I am going to
> explore this possibility a bit further.

yea, I also keep finding new things with mutt. I've been trying to use
it for years, but now I've forced myself to use it as a daily driver and
it's been quite refreshing!

> > Otherwise, great job! You should put this on github or similar so people
> > searching for something like this later will be able to find it easily!
>
> Thanks very much for the encouragement! I will try to put something
> together when I have worked a bit more on this. I have had a look at The
> Little Brother's Database (lbdb) http://www.spinnaker.de/lbdb/. The idea
> should be to deploy my google contacts into a some database (sqlite)
> and then access it with the appropriate query command.

One thing I found out is on OSX if you are using icloud for your
contacts is that the local database of icloud contacts (the thing that
"Address Book" or "Contacts", depending which version of OSX you're
using) is stored in sqlite.

I'm actually *not* using lbdb for my personal contacts, I found a script
on github which would do the searching for me.

https://github.com/andrewlkho/icloud-addressbook-query

I didn't like its handling of the Organization label on my contacts, so
I forked it and made a small change. It works very nicely, though.

Here's the link to my fork, if you're interested:

https://github.com/kitchen/icloud-addressbook-query

Again, this is only for OSX/icloud, which is my primary address book!

> Thanks! Cheers!

Certainly!

-Jeremy