On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 02:25:22PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2012-09-25, Jamie Paul Griffin <ja...@kode5.net> wrote:
> > [ Ian Barton wrote on Tue 25.Sep'12 at  7:04:39 +0100 ]
> >
> >> On 24/09/12 18:52, Jeremy Kitchen wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the information. I'll go  back to using the smtp server on my
> >> Linode box. The reason I switched was I was having problems delivering
> >> to some, but not all, bt.com addresses. There were no errors in my
> >> mail.log, but some recipients weren't receiving email. Like you I want
> >> to be able to set my From and envelope address without having to perform
> >> silly tricks.
> >
> > Has your ISP provided a static IP for you? I have that set up with
> > mine, and just use my local MTA to send messages rather than relaying
> > them through other smtp servers. If your using a dynamic IP at home
> > then this could explain why some bt.com addesses have not delivered,
> > or rather been seen as spam.

I'd considered doing that, but I'd *already* run into issues with
sending emails from my local MTA at home, so I just pushed them up to my
server and called it a day.

I'm really tempted to just go back to hosting my own email, but I don't
feel like trudging through tons of spam every day.

> Som recipients not only require a static address, but they require an
> MX record for the envelope from that matches up with the static address.

that would break nearly every major email provider on the internet. If
this happens, they're throwing away their own mail.

> Even with a static IP address and an MX record, I still wasn't able to
> send mail directly to some recipients because the MX record for the
> domain in the message From: header didn't match up with the static IP.

It's more likely that you were filtered because you're in a residential
IP block, not just a static IP.

-Jeremy