On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 08:40:55AM -0700, Gary Johnson wrote:
> The only headers I usually care about are the sender, subject
> and date/time, and all those are in the status bar at the
> bottom of the screen or in the mini-index at the top.  For the
> rare times when I want to see other header information, I
> scroll or jump to the top of the message.  For more detail I
> hit the 'h' key.  I wouldn't want to lose that vertical space
> all the time.

My status line is at the top of the message. I am assuming we are
referring to the same thing because at the bottom I don't have
anything like that (and I can't find an option to configure it;
correct me if I'm wrong). The default pager_format lacks the date
and sender address (a name can be useful, but sometimes an E-mail
is more distinct and/or unique).

My default seems to be this:

:set pager_format="-%Z- %C/%m: %-20.20n   %s%*  -- (%P)"

Since I have relatively wide displays ordinarily I'm going to try
the following for a while and see how I like it:

:set pager_format="-%Z- %C/%m %e/%E %D %.20F <%.20a>   %s%*  -- (%P)"

It's based on the default, but adds %e/%E (for thread
position), %D (for the date in local time), and replaces %-20.20n
(which is ordinarily the author's name) with %.20F <%.20a> (which is
either the author's or recipients name, depending on context,
followed by the the author's address in angle brackets[1]).

[1] There doesn't seem to be a context sensitive option to switch
between author and recipient.

I wouldn't say it's ideal, and I may need to tweak my .muttrc on
certain platforms (i.e., my EeePC, which I rarely use) in order
to see the subject, but it will hopefully save me time scrolling.
:) I'll have to try it out for a while to know if I like it, I
guess. It might be nice for some long time mutt users to post
their ideal pager_format. :)

Regards,

--
Brandon McCaig <bamcc...@gmail.com> <bamcc...@castopulence.org>